If you are setting up a Compass email account on an IOS device such as an iPhone or iPad, bear in mind that the outgoing email server will correspond to whoever provides the internet connection for that device.
If you are using your device’s 3G connection to connect to the internet, you will need to use your mobile provider’s outgoing mail server.
IOS Email Settings (IOS 5.01)
To add a new email account in IOS:
- Open the ‘Settings’ app
- Select ‘Mail, Contacts and Calendars’
- Select ‘Add a new account’
- Select ‘Other’
- Under ‘Mail’, select ‘Add Mail Account’.
From here you will need to:
- Choose a name- this is the name displayed when recipients receive your email.
- Enter your Compass email address in the address field.
- Enter your Compass email password in the password field.
- Choose a Description- this can be anything you like, and will only be used to identify this email account on your device.
- Select ‘Next’
Your device will briefly process your request.
In the new window:
- Select the ‘POP’ option.
- Incoming Mail Server Hostname: pop3.compassnet.co.nz
- Incoming Mail Server Username: Your email address including the @compassnet.co.nz suffix.
- Incoming Mail Server Password: Should already be populated from the previous screen.
- Outgoing Mail Server Hostname: The outgoing server hostname for your device’s internet provider. For Compass this is; smtp.compassnet.co.nz
- Outgoing Mail Server Username: Leave this blank.
- Outgoing Mail Server Password: Leave this blank.
- Select ‘Next’.
Your device will attempt to log on to your email account to confirm your credentials. Once this is successful, your email account will be set up on your device and will be accessible via the Mail app.